As you proceed through your orthodontic treatment, do you ever wonder if there’s something you can do to get your braces off faster? If so, we are happy to tell you that there are multiple ways to make that happen! First, make sure you are attending all of your orthodontic appointments and try your best not to reschedule them. Second, listen to everything your orthodontist says. Dr. Sergio Aguila knows best, and he is the one who will help you complete your treatment with success. Then, each day you can do the following five things to speed up your orthodontic process:
1. Clean your smile frequently: Your daily oral hygiene routine is extremely important and vital if you wish to finish your orthodontic treatment sooner. So, please do your best to brush your teeth every morning and every night, floss at least once a day, and rinse with bacteria-killing, fluoride, or anti-gingivitis mouthwash daily. If possible, brush and floss your teeth after each meal and snack. This will not only quicken your treatment process, but it will also eliminate the embarrassing moments of having food stuck in your smile.
2. Cut big, hard foods into small pieces: If you bite into big, hard, and solid foods, like apples, pears, corn on the cob, and hamburgers, your brackets and wires could easily break, delaying your transformation process. The more you break your appliance, the longer your treatment will be. So, avoid this occurrence by cutting these foods into small, bite-sized pieces before you eat them.
3. Only chew food—not anything else that can harm your smile: Many people have the habit of biting on pens, pencils, straws, and ice. If you have any or all of these habits, it is best to quit if you don’t want to prolong your treatment. These habits tend to damage the appliance, which requires more time spent at the orthodontic office.
4. Don’t mess with the transformation process: Try to keep from biting your nails or playing with your elastics. These tendencies guide the teeth in improper directions and wreak havoc on your smile.
5. Don’t eat harmful foods: When you first get braces, your orthodontist will tell you which foods you should and shouldn’t eat. If you follow his instructions and you avoid eating foods that are bad for your teeth and braces, you will have a better chance at finishing your orthodontic treatment in a timely manner. Some of the foods we ask you to avoid include sticky candy, gum, nuts, popcorn, caramel, and toffee.
If you would like to know more about speeding up your process with braces, call our office today and talk to a member of our friendly, understanding, and loving orthodontic team. We care for you and your smile, and we are more than happy to give you the tips you need to achieve the smile you want!