Even though in recent times there have been major improvements in the world of dental care, still a huge percentage of the population suffer from complications of tooth loss. There are many causes behind this dental problem like injury, decay or periodontal diseases etc; and for all these years going with dentures and bridges to fix missing teeth issue have remained popular options. But the fact cannot be denied that these options come with sub-optimal outcomes. Thus, a need for a better yet affordable method to replace teeth was always there.
What do you mean by dental implant?
As per recent dental surveys and studies, it was seen that going with dental implants is the best possible option for many. In fact, this procedure is considered by some as the best option provided by modern dentistry for replacing missing teeth. It offers quite natural-looking and long-lasting option that overtime will become a part of your jawbone. The titanium present in the implants has the properties to fuse with your living bone which can even help you to maintain your teeth’s health and overall oral health.
A human tooth can be divided into two main section. The part which is there above the gumline and can be seen in your mouth is called the crown. The part which lies inside the bone is called the root. When you opt for a dental implant, only the root section of the missing tooth will be replaced with the implants. The implant will be then topped with a crown which will look like a natural tooth.
What are the advantages it has to offer?
Recently, many people facing issues because of their missing tooth/teeth are opting for a dental implant procedure rather than traditional methods. This is because of the many different benefits that it has to offer. Some of the advantages of getting a dental implant are mentioned next:
• As it looks and feels like you very own teeth, the end result feels more comfortable than many different procedures.
• People with dentures complain that they have trouble chewing certain food items. However, these implants are quite strong and you will be able to have most food items with ease, and more importantly without any pain.
• It can help you to have a flawless smile and experience improved appearance, confidence and self-esteem.
• It is not only non-embarrassing option to have, but also convenient option as well. It will become a part of your body so you do not have to take them out like in case of dentures. Besides, with it, you do not even have to use any kind of messy adhesive in order to keep the implant in place.
• People with missing teeth or dentures often seen to slur and/or mumble their words. But, with the implants you can experience improved speech.
• When implanting, no nearby teeth will be altered to fit the implant. So, by going with this option you are investing in long-term oral hygiene and health.
• This type of procedure has good success rate and provides a durable, hassle-free and long-lasting result. What is the success rate of dental implant procedures?
Considering the section where in your jaw the implant will be placed, the success rate of the procedure will vary. However, as per different clinical studies and documented researches, the success rate is usually anywhere from 95% to 98%. Once the dental implants get integrated and becomes functional, with proper dental implant care and maintenance you can expect them to last a lifetime.
Is dental implant for me?
Generally, patients who are eligible for a routine oral surgery or dental extraction, can go for this type of procedure. However, it is crucial to mention that a certain amount of bone is required. So, the density and volume of the bone of the area where the missing tooth is will come into factor. Simple bone regeneration procedure and techniques are there in these cases to ensure that the dental implant procedure is as success. Thus, a consultation with your dentist is recommended. A consultation is also recommended for the following types of candidates:
• Candidates who recently received radiation therapy to the neck and/or head area.
• Candidates with any heart disease, diabetes and other such uncontrolled chronic disorder.
• Candidates who are heavy smokers/chain smokers
What are the treatment options?
This procedure is known for supporting a wide range of dental restoration, and the most common ones are mentioned next for a better understanding:
• Replacing a single tooth
Here a single missing tooth in question will be replaced by one implant and one crown.
• Replacing multiple teeth
Supporting fixed bridgework, multiple implants can be placed on multiple missing teeth.
• Temporary bridgework
In such procedure, often times to ensure no patient remains without teeth, temporary implants are placed to support bridgework during the healing period of the permanent implant. Usually mini-micro implants are used in this kind of treatment.
• Removable and Fixed bridgework combined
This type of treatment will take into account a removable section that is attached to provide support to the fixed bridgework section.
Over-dentures can be explained as implants (usually two or more) that are placed to provide more stability to your dentures.
• In case of Orthodontics devices
Temporary implants are suggested for orthodontic devices. This is done because they provide very steady anchor units which promotes easier and quicker tooth movement.
How to take care of dental implants?
As mentioned earlier, with proper care and maintenance, a dental implant can last a lifetime. Thus, taking proper care of your implants after undergoing for the procedure is crucial. The implants are very easy to take care for. In fact, you need to take care of it as you would your natural teeth. So, proper and regular brushing, using antibacterial mouthwash, flossing and dental check-ups is advisable.
Unlike real teeth, with implants there will be no need to worry about root canal issues and decaying. However, the area where the implant is attached can have gum problems. In many cases, too much continuous applied force/stress on the implants because of habits like bruxing and clenching can also lead to certain dental problems. But with proper dental hygiene care and special protective measures like wearing night guard to stop clenching and grinding habits, you can avoid these issues effectively.
Other than these reasons, there are many other reasons why a dental implant procedure is considered as a modern method to replace teeth. If you are interested in this type of procedure or want to know more, then it advisable that you consult your dentist for the same.
For more on dental implants, check the following video: