At Liberty Village Dental Care, we are focused on preventative dental care and keeping families throughout Victorville, CA in excellent oral health. As a local family dentist, we know that this requires both in-office care and a healthy routine at home. To make sure our patients are empowered to make healthy choices, we spend time on educating patients during routine appointments for teeth cleanings and dental exams. As a kids’ dentist, this requires teaching young patients in a way that they can understand and relate to. If you have struggled to get your kids excited about making healthy choices, we encourage you to call (760) 394-3087 and schedule an appointment with our 92392 pediatric dentist office. We can work together to get your family healthy and keep it that way. In addition to showing everyone how to brush and floss properly, we will also encourage your kids to eat a mouth-healthy diet.
Here Are 7 Foods That Can Harm Your Family’s Teeth
Eating healthy often begins by understanding what foods to avoid and when. Here are our top seven:
1. Soda pop. Avoid anything acidic. Many parents make the decision to switch from full-sugar soda like traditional Cola and give their kids diet soda instead. While this is better for your teeth, it does not solve the acid problem. Eliminating sugar is not enough. As a family dentist, we understand that the pH level in a product will determine how quickly that item will erode or eat away at the teeth. Most sodas have a pH level that is so low, it more closely resembles battery acid than it does water. Avoid drinking soda and giving it to your children whenever possible.
2. Sour candy. Of all the candies, we warn parents and children about, sour candy is at the top of our list. Not only is it full of sugar, but it is also acidic. That means your teeth can be eroded by the candy, providing a better surface for the sugar to attack! While not as menacing as an alien invasion, it’s close and as a kids’ dentist, that is exactly how we would explain it to your kids.
3. Milk in bed. As a pediatric dentist, we constantly warn parents about the danger of giving their young children a bottle of milk at bedtime. We are not worried about milk itself but the timing. When babies and toddlers take milk to bed, they are living with sugar on their teeth every night. This can lead to a common condition called baby bottle tooth decay.
4. Juice. As a Victorville, CA family dentist, we recommend switching out juice for water. While not as bad as drinking soda, juice is often high in sugar and can also have a low pH level. If your family wants juice, switch to vegetable juice for a healthier alternative.
5. Lemons and limes. Anything citrus that is high in acid like lemons, limes, and oranges can be bad for your teeth. If you want them, rinse your mouth afterward and brush a half hour later.
6. Dried fruit. Anything that is particularly sticky is bad for your teeth, including dried fruit. Brush immediately afterward.
7. Potato chips. Things that are high in starch tend to stick to the teeth and can cause plaque to build up. In our 92392 family dentist office, we recommend snacking on nuts instead.
At Liberty Village Dental Care, we want you and your family to stay in excellent oral health. These are seven foods that can harm your family’s teeth, but they are not the only ones that can. As a pediatric dentist and kids’ dentist, we will explain to your children how they can take steps to fight alien invaders (sugar and plaque) from attacking their teeth. By making it fun, we encourage our Victorville, CA patients to make healthy choices. To learn more, schedule an appointment with our 92392 family dentist office by calling (760) 394-3087.