Are you suffering from the uncomfortable and inconvenient poking and prodding of braces? If so, we are happy to help you find the comfort you deserve! If you are experiencing problems with a broken bracket, poking wire, mouth irritation, loose ligature, or loose wire, we recommend doing the following things to relieve your pain and eliminate discomfort:
1. Broken bracket: If you have a bracket that slides back and forth along the wire, it is broken. If it is not irritating you or causing you pain, you can leave it there until your next appointment. If it is bothering you, you can place orthodontic wax over it to keep it from moving.
2. Poking wire: If you have a wire that is poking and bothering you, you can place orthodontic wax over it to protect your lips, cheeks, and tongue. If this doesn’t help, you can cut the wire with fingernail clippers. Cut the wire against the next bracket it is attached to. If any pieces of wire fall into your mouth during this process, please do not swallow them.
3. Mouth sores and irritation: It is very common to have mouth sores and irritation while you have braces. To protect your mouth, please use orthodontic wax to keep any wires or brackets from cutting or wounding your cheeks, lips, and tongue. To relieve the pain and promote healing, you can use an orthodontic anesthetic, like Orabase and Ora-Gel, to numb the area.
4. Loose or lost ligature: If you have a ligature (which is the small rubber band wrapped around the bracket) that becomes loose or falls off, you can put it back into place with sterile tweezers. Please remember that if you have a loose ligature, others may be loose as well.
5. Loose wire: If you have a loose wire, you can simply secure it back into place with a Q-tip or pencil eraser. If you cannot do so, you can place orthodontic wax over it until your next appointment.
If you ever experience a severe or traumatic oral injury, please call our office as soon as possible. If you cannot reach us, please go to an Urgent Care or hospital. To learn more about braces and what to do to make your experience more convenient and comfortable, call our office today and talk to a member of our team. We are happy to help you!